LIVE WEBINAR - Motivation for Change: Working with Addictive Disorders
Presented by John Sanders, LCSW, LCAS, CCS
Friday October 23
3 credit hours total:
- 3 NBCC approvedcredit hours
- NCASPPB approved for substance use specific (SS) and evidence based practice (EBT)
This live interactive webinar series is a deep dive into the nature of motivation and its link to helping people change addictive behaviors.
The addiction field has changed dramatically over the last few decades. Addiction professionals strive to adapt to the most effective counseling methods possible. We will address the movement away from abstinence-only addiction treatment perspectives toward client-centered approaches that enhance motivation and reduce risk. We will also introduce the Stages of Change and how the change process is conceptualized.
This webinar draws from SAMSHA’s updated TIP 35* and other primary sources to teach the most up-to-date treatment approaches. Using an instructive teaching style, we will discuss the fundamental theory and skills. We will also break out into small groups to discuss how to integrate the information into your agency or practice.
These webinars are live and interactive. You can ask questions and communicate with the presenter and other participants. Instructor uses high quality professional audio and video equipment to make your experience as smooth as possible.
* The use of TIP 35 does not constitute a direct or indirect endorsement by SAMHSA or HHS of the training provided by FIRST at Blue Ridge.
- Participants will develop an understanding of motivation and its role in changing addictive behaviors.
- Participants will be able to contrast abstinence-based, client-centered, and harm reduction approaches.
- Participants will practice motivational skills for individual and group settings.
References and Recommended Reading: