The Therapist's Workbook: Self-Assessment, Self-Care, and Self-Improvement Exercises for Mental Health Professionals
Tuesday November 13, 2018
1:00pm - 4:15pm
3 contact hours total:
- 3 NBCC credit hours
- The NCSAPPB accepts NBCC credit hours
This workshop is the second half of the day. The "Bibliotherapy" workshop is the first half of the day. You can sign up for just one, or sign up for both.
For years, I struggled with the concept of "burnout and anger at a for profit system of mental health that works their staff into the ground". I finally realized, I had no control over the state of mental health and it's reform except to vote, get involved with the local MCO to effect policy, support self-help groups with my own attendance, and get therapy myself.
This very practical workshop will focus on self-help drawing from an EXCELLENT workbook, The Therapist's Workbook: Self-Assessment, Self-Care, and Self-Improvement Exercises For Mental Health Professionals by Jeffrey Kottler. It takes a look at and encourages change in several areas for counselors and social workers: "Confronting the Issues", "Taking Care of Yourself", and "Practicing What Your Preach". We will also explore, "When to get out!"
- On Being a Therapist-and the Consequences of Choice
- Identifying Sources of Stress
- Acknowledging Doubts, Limitations, and Failures
- Clients as Teachers: Reciprocal Effects and Influences
- Addressing Countertransference and Other Personal Reactions
- Travel That Can Change Your Life
- Accessing More Fun and Joy From Therapeutic Work
- Promoting Creative Breakthroughs
- Develop a strategy for making changes in your personal and professional life to support staying in the profession you love, social work or counseling.
- Meet like-minded professionals who are working on the same thing that your are: self-care and self-actualization while doing what you love, counseling.
Snacks, coffee, water, and tea are all included!
We look forward to seeing you there!
Presented by Linda Harrison, BSW, LPCS, CCS, MAC